Category Archives: BI Semantic Tabular Model
Include post related to SQL Server 2012, BI Semantic Tabular Model
To start with, apologies to my friends and followers who keep an eye on the blog. It’s been a long time since I have written anything here. But I’ll try my best no gaps now on.
- So it’s a small requirement of creating one more Cube in same SSAS Solution. New cube should be same as the cube we have in solution, after getting this copy we can whatever necessary change required.
- Yeah I know this shouldn’t be too difficult to implement but guess what, I was not able to find a small and easy way mentioned anywhere. So I am giving you most obvious two options:
a) COPY and PASTE
It as simple as they say. See the initial solution outline in Fig 1:
Once you copy the cube (fig 1) and tries to paste it (fig 2) it asks for a new name (fig 3) and finally you get a new cube solution (fig 4).
|Fig 1||Fig 2|
|Fig 3||Fig 4|
b) Use CREATE XMLA
Connect to the cube using SSMS. Select the Cube you want to copy and Right-Click cube and select option Create XMLA for Cube.
Once you get the Cube XMLA in front of you, update two tags only. below is the figure that shows “Before” we updated the query which is actual cube XMLA, then “After” we updated the query which is what changes we need to do. And the changes are new cube Name and ID.
Execute your new query in SSMS and VOILA!! you get your new cube under same solution.
Now you can update this new cube for whatsoever reason you want.
But where is the climax here, What’s the point I am sharing this all, Is there anything interesting left in the post ??????? YES 🙂
When we created a copy of cube using second the Option; it creates the cube which you cannot process, which you can open at any BIDS solution.
So the learning is:
- Cube created from a copy of older should have different PERSPECTIVEs. Two or more cubes in same Solution/ database cannot have same perspectives. So in first Option COPY/PASTE, new cube is created with new name and same Name changes are done to Perspectives automatically (you can observe in solution. So you might want to change the name as per your requirement for perspectives.In second Option CREATE XMLA, we need to find the Perspective names and IDs in code and update those with new names. And then job is done.
“BI Semantic Tabular Model doesn’t support data mining”. If you want to implement data mining same as Multidimensional Model (SSAS). . . . here is a break . . . this is not possible. Reason for this is Multidimensional Model (SSAS) and Data Mining model is work on OLAP (Online Analytical Processing) architecture but if you deal with Tabular Model, it is same old relational modeling (just termed as In-Memory and DirectQuery).
Hope, Tabular Model will capture Data Mining as one of it’s assets in next release. Increasing popularity of Tabular Model need to have this additional feature to run in a long term.
Along with Data Mining, there are few other features provided in Multidimensional Model but lacking in Tabular Model solutions under Visual Studio 2010 interface.
Few popular ones are:
- Actions: Additional tab in Multidimensional Cube designer, which allows few triggers in cube development. Tabular model doesn’t have this feature. 😦
- Aggregations: Tab in Multidimensional Cube designer, which allows additional aggregations to the cube database. Tabular Model lags in this feature.
- Custom Assemblies: We can add reference of custom assemblies in Multidimensional Cube but Tabular Model doesn’t have this flexibility.
- Many to Many Relationships: We have direct option for adding many to many relationships in Dimensions and Facts for Multidimensional Cube design. This is one of the option but in Tabular Model we need to do some DAX manipulation for this implementation else no direct way.
- Translations: Again a direct option in Multidimensional Cube designer but lack in Tabular Model designer solutions.