Found new interesting trends which were focused by few BI Giants for some periods now. Lets hope these are going to be up to the mark and help out with new interesting opportunity on analytic.
Category Archives: Current
It holds everyday news, we found related to Business Intelligence.
Posted by digvendra
We usually don’t give much importance to the Data Source Views (DSV). But if we work on it properly, it makes your life very easy.
Refer to few of the following notes on DSV, which might help in making it more useful for your project.
- Its only DSV where you can pull multiple data sources tables. This is the only place where you bring multiple data sources table in 1 DSV and later use in cube. how else ?? 😛
- While creating manual DSV (New Diagram), you can pull one table only and then add related tables one by one (option is Right Click–> Show related tables). So you for example you can literally pull a fact table and call related tables for related dimensions. Also for those dimension call related tables for snow flake tables and in the end get one good quality Diagram without much hassle.
- You also get to see original name of column even if you change to Friendly Name for it (doesn’t work for table though). Following is the screenshot of how column name appears after renaming it. Table is also renamed from original DimGeography but only new name appear.
- you might want to see only original name, to avoid any confusion with table or column or may be just want to know what came from source. Right Click –> un-check option Show Friendly Names.
- You cannot delete a column just by Click–>Delete on DSV. Change the table to Named Query and remove the column from list of SELECT is your option.
- DSV always warn you for incorrect relationships. For example, where it should be Many to one or one to many, Matching data type warning etc. Always listed to these warning. This is your practice ground for dimension usage relationships.
- Did you use Zoom –> To Fit option ? If not then try it thank me later.
- You can also manipulate values in Explore Data. Like select random or top sorted sample. Even increase/decrease the number of sample rows, by default its 5000. To achieve this, Explore Data for a table and in window with sample click on Setting option and manipulate as your choice (Don’t forget to click on refresh button to sample, all highlighted in following screenshot).
- If you are new to SSAS DSV or tutoring, use Name Matching Criteria for quick relationships from tables pulled from data source. Click anywhere on DSV and look at properties with NameMatchingCriteria.
I could talk about some more interesting DSV related things, but length of the post is a concern. Let me know if you need details on these or anything more under comments section.
Tags: Clean DSV diagram, data source view incorrect relationships, Delete columns in DSV, do not show friendly names, DSV Friendly Names, DSV relationships, Fit all tables DSV, Name Matching Criteria, related tables DSV, SSAS Data source view, SSAS DSV, SSAS DSV Add more rows in Explore Data, SSAS Multiple Data sources